GSE

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Doping in sports

Written by Angelica
Discussion topic -Journal reaction

First of all, I have to say that I disagree with doping in sports. So far, I can see differences between sports considered as entertainment such as baseball, and sports that are not such as Olympic Games where baseball is out for several reasons. If I have to give an explanation why I have strong feelings about avoiding any drug issues in human beings, I want to say that my concern related to this topic is linked what I think an athlete is. My ideal concept of an athlete is a player who everyday tries to do the best without using artificial aids (e.g. steroids) when either training or competing. Athletes know the difference between being a commercial player who wants to play any sports just for money and having fun. Even tough money is always important in daily life, I know that athletes are different from super sport stars because athletes try to win for a competitive spirit. Second of all, knowing that baseball is a sport followed by fans including children and young athletes, I can stop thinking how some baseball players are sending them the wrong message about using steroids as a way of earning astronomical quantities of money, and getting extra abilities that they never could reach by using traditional ways of training.

Finally, I realized after many of our discussion classes that we have to respect personal decisions of everyone choosing whatever thing in its life. However, I must raise my voice and say that using steroids is illegal. I am worried about a super sport player can influence children and young athletes. Using steroids is right now illegal in our society; therefore, I cannot believe that sport players have to use them as a contribution of keeping the sport business. In this sense, as my final thought, I want to give everybody an advice: discussing with young people about avoiding drugs is important and being alert who a sport hero is not anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home