GSE

Saturday, May 06, 2006

My favorite character in the miracle worker

In my novel and film class, I am reading the miracle worker (2002) by William Gibson. In this play, there are many interesting characters, but my favorite is Helen for several reasons. First of all, I want to say that I like her because she has an important role who teaches anyone that there is no limit to get anything if you want it, and if you are ready to take it. In the play, she is described as a six-seven years old child whose handicap has pushed her to be unkempt, imperious, obstinate, resolute, and undisciplined. Even though she born well, she suffered from a disease which gave her a special condition of being blind, deaf, and mute. For this reason, she is introduced in the Act 1 as a little girl trapped in a vivacious body.

Second of all, I have to say that we can see other important Helen’s characteristics, which in my opinion are the best. The narrator, who explains us important details in the play, offers a lot of emotional characteristics of Helen such as her necessity of being like “a normal person”, her sharpness, and sensitive spirit although her handicap. In this sense, Helen has shown us a child who always tries to communicate with other relatives, but nobody can help her due to the inarticulate sounds that she made in order to reach anything. However, the only ones who can see the determination of Helen are Kate Keller (Helen’s mother) and Annie Sullivan (Helen’s teacher). At the first time when she met Ms. Annie Sullivan there was a magic connection because she knew what a handicap implies. Also, she was blind after getting nine operations. Helen demonstrated to Annie that she deserved to be taught. One example of this important discovery was when everybody looked the Annie’s key because Helen there was locked Annie’s door. While everybody at Ivy Green (Keller’s home in Alabama) tried to find the key, Helen who was in her refuge at home dropping the key into the well as a signal of she liked her. Another important example is point out in the play when Helen repeated the finger movement’s Annie as a way to get back her doll using the alphabet for deaf people to communicate with speakers.

Finally, I like Helen and she is my favorite character in the play because as a teacher what I am, I believe in the decision of being a teacher involves too many difficult times. But it also means that you do not give up because you love what you have decided to be and your students deserve respect as well. Therefore, I will keep going reading the miracle worker because I feel that something good is coming soon.

By Angelica

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home